Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Goals

One of my summer goals is to read a book a week. I only get a few minutes every day while Miles sleeps and I pump, but I'm doing good so far. The other part of my goal is to record them here, so come fall I can remember what I've read!

Book 1: About Average  by Andrew Clements
I love Andrew Clements for his simple stories, school settings, and realistic characters. They are great books to hook kids on reading. This was a story of a very average girl trying her hardest to be anything but. It was a quick, simple, but enjoyable read.

Book 2: How to Cook like a Top Chef
I like the show, and I like to learn about cooking (If I were ever rich I'd go to culinary school just for fun). This was a good mix of "show stuff" - cooking tips - and recipes. Not that I ever cook that sort of fancy schmancy stuff, but I like to read how they do it...

Book 3: May B. by Caroline Starr Rose
This book was written in verse ... poetry ...short incomplete sentences? But it was really good. It was about a girl with dyslexia and the time she was sent away to work for someone in their soddy. It takes place on the Kansas plains, I don't know what year, but back when they lived in soddies and rode via horse and wagon. I liked  the visual pictures created in this book and the element the dyslexia had in defining the character. I'm not usually into historical fiction but this one was worth the read.

So far, all good reads. This week I'm taking on The One and Only Ivan.

No comments: