Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Oh what a book....

Last night I finished My Family for the War by Anne Voorhoeve, I stayed up until 10:00 - for 4 nights in a row - because I couldn't stop reading.
I haven't seen 10:00 since, well I can't remember the last time I was up that late.
That should say something.

The story takes place during WWII and focuses on the life of a young german girl. She was persecuted for being Jewish but wasn't 100% sure if she was Jewish. When the war began to really effect Berlin she was sent away on a Kindertransport to England to seek refuge, and that's really more than I should say already.
The story is full of history, rich - thought-provoking - mind-drenching, history. But I don't like to read history, and yet I seemed unable to stop myself from becoming so engrossed in the tale of this young girl that all I wanted to do was read.
Her story is full of very real adventure, probably not the word she would use to describe it - perhaps, misfortune, circumstance, life. Her wit and strength in coping with the 'things' that lie before her reinforce a love for this character.
Despite that it is set in WWII, during horrific circumstances, it is not a sad book. There are sad moments, there are losses that are heart-wrenching and made me cry. (There is an entire blog post in the understanding I gained from watching her deal with death, but I'll get to that another time.) But overall, there is joy, hope, faith and love. A lot of love. (not sappy kissing romance love - burying your head in someones neck and holding them tight kind of love)
I kind of wish I hadn't finished it. I'm pretty sure I could pick it up and start reading again (solely to better understand all the German names), just to put myself back in her story.

Recommend it? Yes. For everyone - no, older kids, 5th grade and up; adults, absolutely.
Makes you think twice about your family.


No comments: