Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Back from Bliss...

I had a 7:45 AM meeting Monday morning. Talk about a cold hard return to reality.
We got back from a weeklong vacation to Oceanside late Saturday, and it sure was hard to return to real life.
Morning visits...

  • We were lucky to have a great drive (except the route between Glendora and Oceanside that was too much traffic, and a bad night going home.)
  • An amazing view, from the bed! Not to mention the sound of ocean waves crashing...
  • Fabulous food (the best burgers we've ever eaten)...
  • A great master bedroom suite complete with Miles' own room (A walk-in  closet big enough for a dresser with his things and his pack & play. Not only did it drown out the sound from the Washingtons downstairs, but it was dark and warm and provided optimal sleeping conditions as he napped 2 - 2 hour naps every day!)...
  • Wonderful morning visits with Kassie and my Mom on our balcony overlooking the ocean...
  • Sand building fun (Not as much as I would have liked, but you can only allow your child to consume so much sand - 9 month olds don't quite get the concept of keeping something out of their mouth. It killed me to not get to build all day with everyone, my meager additions and artistic consultations are nothing in comparison to the talents of my family)...
  • Daily swims to take off a layer of sand...
  • Most importantly lots of family time. Not as much as I would have liked as naps are essential, and bedtimes come early, but we tried to enjoy evenings together and some fun outings. We each snuck away from a few naps to golf, boogie board, shop and play in the sand. But the time we spent as our own little family was pretty awesome too. Art and I enjoyed our incredible balcony and view, a good book, and some quiet stress free time together. 
A little sand and ocean time. 
It's really hard to put into words what a great vacation it was. Sure Miles is all the wrong age for traveling (too big to sleep/sit in your arms, too little to play alone or miss naps), but it didn't matter. It was impossible not to enjoy being there and make the most of every minute. I wish we could have one more week. Or two. I really wanted to get the whole family in the pool at once, and I didn't get one game of Phase 10; I was hoping for one night of late night girl giggling, and at least one more play session for Miles and Shelby (She's just his favorite). But we made so many memories it just makes me look forward to next year. 
He likes to play with the girls, as long as Mom is within view.
And yes, I believe wholeheartedly the whole family will be together next year.
(There are already over 1000 pictures in the family dropbox (I took very few as my hands were always full), and we don't even have Dorien's yet (and she has well over 1000 alone), I'll try to pick a few favorites....)










Miles screamed through every kid picture. No matter who held him or how entertaining everyone was trying to be. 







No comments: